The Baring Archive in Hampshire
Until mid-March, visitors to Hampshire Record Office will be able to find out more about Barings. An exhibition to commemorate the 250th anniversary of the founding of Barings is now on display in the lobby of the records centre.
Barings was founded in 1762 by John, Francis and Charles Baring. At the start of the nineteenth century, Francis Baring, purchased Stratton House in Micheldever. Stratton remained in the family until 1929. The house was then used as a girls' school, before Barings Bank purchased it in 1939 in order to move some of their operations there during the Second World War.
In 1817 Alexander Baring (1773-1848) purchased the adjoining estate, The Grange, from his fellow banker Henry Drummond. Alexander had succeeded his father as head of the firm in 1804. By the time of his purchase of The Grange, he was perhaps the most powerful financier in Europe.
A third Baring estate in Hampshire was at Norman Court near Salisbury. In 1853 this was inherited by Thomas Baring (1799-1873), who was a partner of Barings for almost fifty years. A clipper ship commissioned by Barings was named Norman Court after his home.
The exhibition consists of a screen depicting a timeline of the bank's history and a smaller banner exploring Barings' relationship with Hampshire. There is also a selection of facsimiles of material from The Baring Archive on display.
The Hampshire Record Office is home to a selection of private and estate papers relating to the Baring family that complement The Baring Archive's business collections.
Posted on Monday, 18th February 2013