3: Bishopsgate and war-time Barings
The banking hall was a series of oak sloping desks all the way round, three quarters of the way round and in the middle was what was known as the Box and that held the general manager and a senior clerk.
Anthony Akers (b1923) followed his sister, Margaret Lambert, into Barings in 1940 and remained at 8 Bishopsgate during the Blitz. He served in the army and returned to Barings after the war, later becoming head of the Stock Office. He retired in 1983.
In this extract he talks about his experiences during the War.